You may have noticed that restaurants across the nation and grocery stores are offering more gluten-free options now than ever before. That is likely due to the fact that an estimated 1 in 100 people worldwide has celiac disease. When you are diagnosed with celiac disease the only solution is to eat a gluten-free diet which can be a bummer but doesn’t mean there aren’t great alternatives. Fortunately, many restaurants, chains, and food manufacturers have found ways to make delicious gluten-free foods. From gluten-free pizza to gluten-free desserts the options are delicious and can satisfy the gluten craving for diners with celiac disease.
People order gluten-free pizza all the time at restaurants. If you’re looking to bring some fun into your kitchen, it’s actually quite easy to make at home. Similar to how you prepare traditional pizza dough, the recipe has a few important steps. Some pizzas that are gluten-free are made on cauliflower crusts, but there’s nothing quite like dough.
How to make gluten-free pizza dough at home
Making pizza dough with gluten-free flour takes less time than traditional pizza because you don’t need the dough to rise. This can be easily done with the same ingredients (water, salt, olive oil, and yeast) just swap for gluten-free flour. This recipe makes a lot of dough so feel free to divide it down to the amount you’re looking for.
- Gluten-free flour (2 cups)
- Water (3/4 cup)
- Salt (0.9oz)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (0.7oz)
- Fresh yeast (0.3 oz)
1. Place your water in a mixer bowl and melt the yeast
2. Then add 70% of the flour at a slow speed
3. After 2 minutes add the salt, and after 3 more minutes add the rest of the flour
4. When you see the flour finish absorbing, add the olive oil and mix (total mixing time should be about 15 minutes)
5. Divide the dough into the size you desire and use gloves or hands wet with olive oil to wrap the dough in plastic
6. After 2 hours your dough is ready to use. If you’re saving it for later keep it in the fridge and use it within 2 days
7. Next add your favorite toppings and bake!
We recommend using the gluten-free dough by Caputo for an authentic Italian flavor. Grab this dough along with your favorite toppings at Sansone Market to complete your perfect gluten-free pizza pie. Once you’re done baking, pat yourself on the back because you’ve made a delicious gluten-free pizza at home!
Some great toppings for your gluten-free pizza
The most important ingredient in a gluten-free pizza is the flour. Swapping traditional flour for gluten-free makes the pizza safe to eat for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Because the dough is so versatile, the varieties of toppings you can use are endless. Some people choose to go with the traditional Margherita pizza, but others like to add plenty of veggies or meats. Some favorites include spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, shrimp, pepperoni, and salami. Get creative and enjoy your gluten-free dinner for an awesome pizza night!