If you’ve ever eaten pizza before, then you know you can top it with anything. Nothing beats a crisp brick oven pizza with your favorite toppings. However, since pizza is so versatile you can top it with much more than pepperoni. Here are five unconventional pizza toppings for your pizza that might surprise you!
- Eggs: If you crack an egg on your pizza, that means you’re allowed to eat it for breakfast, right? Sure, why not! Eggs on pizza are actually becoming extremely popular. If you’re skeptical, just read some recipes and they will leave your taste buds very curious. For example, Epicurious has a recipe that consists of dough topped with roasted red peppers, olives, arugula, and softly set eggs.
- Peaches: People are putting pineapple on pizza, so why not add a sweet, juicy peach on top. Peaches have a magical way of bringing out the natural flavors of other ingredients such as goat cheese, ricotta, onions, and basil. A recipe by Martha Stewart is the perfect barbecue-friendly recipe. Ditch the marinara this one time and top your dough with sliced peaches, mozzarella cheese, basil leaves, prosciutto slices and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Figs: Like peaches, figs bring out the flavors of other ingredients they are paired with. You can pair figs with similar ingredients to peaches such as goat cheese and onions. However, if you’re looking for a more elegant recipe, you’ll want to try the recipe from Taste. It’s basically the most delicious charcuterie, cheese, the olive board you’ve ever had, except on a pizza. You top your dough with olive tapenade, sweet figs, pancetta, and brie. All that’s left is to grab a glass of wine and enjoy!
- Mashed Potatoes: Carbs on carbs? You’re not dreaming, this idea was made famous by a signature pie at a pizzeria in New Haven, Connecticut. It’s a garlic-based dough topped with creamy mashed potatoes, bacon and mozzarella. Other recipes include vegetables such as broccoli florets, green onions, and sweet corn [https://www.thebakerchick.com/mashed-potato-pizza/]. And if you’re a fan of potato skins, the recipe from Tablespoon is basically a potato skin in a pizza form consisting of creamy mashed potatoes, butter, bacon, cheese, and chives. Are you drooling yet?
- Honey: Believe it or not, this isn’t a dessert pizza. When paired with salty meat, honey can bring your pizza to the next level. A recipe from The Hungry Traveler proves that sweet and spicy flavors mingle nicely together. This pizza is topped with warm honey, zesty soppressata and then topped with sea salt to balance the flavors out. Another recipe by Life’s Ambrosia consists of a pizza with red sauce, spicy salami and melted cheese topped with honey. The honey balances out the saltiness.
Pizza is a fun, customizable food that can be fun for the whole family [Link to family pizza blog]. Kick those boring old recipes to the curb and try some new toppings. They may sound wrong, but they are oh so right! Visit Sansone Market for the best pizza toppings and freshly made pizza dough so you can make your own unique pizza creation at home.